February 4, 2011
Extracts from the Official website of JCI Singapore at http://www.jcisingapore.cc/
Singapore first heard of the Junior Chamber movement at a Rotary Luncheon at Adelphi Hotel in October 1949. The then JCI Vice-President for Asia, Gregario M. Feliciano, was describing in moving terms a civic organisation which was capturing the minds and hearts of young men around the world. The meeting heard that the Junior Chamber had been established in Manila, Philippines on December 20,1947 with an initial membership of 18 members. On September 3, 1949, a second Asian Chapter was established, this time in Japan.
Covering the luncheon was a reporter from “Malaya Tribune”, Ted Goh Tuck Chiang, who with other non-Rotarians further queried Feliciano on the aims and objectives of Junior Chamber. Feliciano told them that Junior Chamber could inculcate civic consciousness among its members through active participation in constructive projects designed to improve the community, the nation and the world. Ted and the others were so inspired by Feliciano that they held a discussion on their own at Washington Cafe, Bras Basah junction of North Bridge Road. These inspired young men then went round, recruiting like-minder young people. They went more for executives rather than “junior” execuutives because they needed not only organisational ability but also members who could subsidize the projects that they would be implementing. Their hardwork culminated in the forming of the Singapore Junior Chamber of Commerce on December 8, 1949. The 30 or so young men gathered together to elect Ted Goh as the first President of the Singaproe Junior Chamber of Commerce.